Yes, The Hobbit looked weird in HFR, but not all the time. I’ll admit, I had serious concerns when the movie first started and characters and objects started moving all smooth and stuff. And [slight spoilers] when we see the flashback of the dwarves being kicked out of Erebor at the beginning of the movie, everything looked like miniatures to me including the dwarves and their stronghold. [end spoilers] But once I got accustomed to the faster frame rate and smoothness of the motion (there’s hardly any blur!) I really enjoyed what I was seeing. Yes, sometimes things looked like a behind-the-scenes video and not a “real” film, but the colors were bright and vivid and the 3D was among the best I’ve seen. When we come across trolls, orcs and mountain giants, they look incredibly real, and I was pretty much in awe of what I was looking at with every new scene. Now, whether that was due to the effects themselves, or the HFR or 3D, I’m not sure. When I see it again, I’ll see the regular, 24fps version just to compare the experiences.
So what did I think of the movie itself? Well, despite hearing (among critics and friends) incredibly mixed reviews beforehand, I absolutely loved the film and can’t wait to see it again! Yes, some scenes could have (should have?) been trimmed, and the movie would’ve moved along more quickly had it been only 2 hours, but as a big fan of The Hobbit book and animated movie, I literally had a smile on my face nearly the entire running time. Needless to say, if you dig Middle-earth and are either a fan of the Lord of the Rings books or movies, it’s a must-see. Peter Jackson and Co. did not disappoint. And, yes: even with its many distractions, I recommend seeing it in HFR 3D, if only to judge whether you like the new format or not.
I’m really curious as to what you BOTreaders thought about the Hobbit and what format you saw it in, so if you’ve seen it, click and comment below:
So what'd you think of The Hobbit?
- Skipped opening weekend but will see it soon. (37%, 107 Votes)
- Loved it unabashedly and will keep loving it forever, preciousss. (25%, 71 Votes)
- Loved it, but it had problems. (20%, 57 Votes)
- Didn't see it and have no plans to. (11%, 32 Votes)
- Liked it. Nothing more, nothing less. (6%, 18 Votes)
- Meh. It was okay. (1%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 289
How did you see the Hobbit?
- I saw it as movies are meant to be seen: 24fps, 2D (49%, 73 Votes)
- I spiced it up a lot: 48fps HFR, 3D (21%, 31 Votes)
- I spiced it up a bit: 24fps, 3D (17%, 26 Votes)
- I was King under the Mountain: 48fps HFR, 3D, True IMAX (9%, 14 Votes)
- I went big and fast: 48fps HFR, 3D, Lie-MAX (4%, 5 Votes)
Total Voters: 149